Sunday, August 8, 2010

5 Chens go Home

So here we are, back where we started; Rich in China, the kids and I at my sister's house in Utah.

Trying to look on the bright side, what have we gained? An unbelievable experience right in the heart of China. Rich and I toyed with the idea of just coming for a few weeks of vacation but it wouldn't have given me the perspective I've gained over the last six months. I love my husband, I just don't always understand why he thinks and acts the way he does. Now, I  get it, at least some of it.

I feel a little bit like a deserter. I said I would give China a year but after six months and a new school year approaching we decided that the kids need to be in school. Good for all of you moms that can homeschool. I envy your caliber, I just don't want to emulate it. I gave it a try and I failed miserably.

Rich has stayed behind and is working on securing a job that includes a schooling stipend. Matt and Lily need to be in an international school. Mia and Piper are still young enough to attend a local school. We looked into putting all of the kids in a local school but they would be placed according to their Chinese ability; which would put both Matt and Lily in kindergarten. How's that for an esteem builder? I figure they'll already need to undergo years of therapy, why add to it.

Until that amazing job is found, the kids will attend school in Utah. The public school system may be flawed but it is leaps and bounds ahead of me.

We are headed to Austin on the 17th. My new cell is 435-979-7175; give me a call if you want to get together while we are there.

See ya'll soon!

S

No comments: